All3media International acquires first format from South Africa
London – Independent television distributor all3media international has picked up its first format from South Africa, signing international distribution rights to Ultimate Braai Master from Cape Town-based Cooked in Africa Films.
Presenting the toughest outdoor cooking competition ever seen, as amateur chefs are challenged to cook in the great outdoors, Ultimate Braai Master, currently in production for its third season, has already proved a huge hit for terrestrial broadcaster SABC in South Africa. A first series commission of 13 episodes was quickly followed by a second commission — both series have attracted significant numbers making the show a ratings phenomenon within the highly competitive local cooking and food TV show category. It attracted double the audiences of classic formats such as MasterChef South Africa throughout its premiere run and triple the audiences of Come Dine With Me South Africa. The show delivered consistently high audience ratings across the two seasons, with season two eclipsing the debut show, resulting in a third consecutive series being taken up by leading independent terrestrial broadcaster, ETV.
Nick Smith, VP Formats at all3media international commented: “We’re delighted to secure Ultimate Braai Master for our portfolio, marking our first format acquisition from Africa. Cooked in Africa Films has developed an impressive original format which is perfect for international adaptation. With a fantastic track record of success from South Africa — where it attracted a diverse audience of appointment viewers, including 45 percent share of male viewers — and the opportunity for broadcasters to produce a highly cost-effective version on location, we’re confident Ultimate Braai Master will be in hot demand when we launch the show at MIP.”
Cooked in Africa Film’s Executive Producer, Peter Gird said: “Producers the world over need to create entertaining, relevant and inspiring formats that viewers actively choose to engage with. We were intent on creating a series that reflected the South African psyche, showcasing the local approach to food preparation – it’s in our nature to cook in the great outdoors – instead of replicating international content. Ultimate Braai Master has enjoyed a record-breaking response by local audiences in the cooking competition genre and we are exceptionally proud to have a hit show represented by all3media international in the global formats market. It’s a tremendous validation of the series’ entertainment values and the accessibility of its subject matter to international audiences.”
- Flame bids farewell to its founder John Caldon 62 views | posted on February 22, 2021
- U-NEXT enters licensing partnership with ViacomCBS for a selection of new series from SHOWTIME® to premiere in Japan 59 views | posted on February 22, 2021
- Disney+ officially starts streaming in Singapore on 23 February 58 views | posted on February 24, 2021
- ‘Tales of Arcadia: 3Below’ premieres on DreamWorks on 1 March 56 views | posted on February 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020