MIPCOM: Malaysia announces 13 deals worth over US$50 million
Cannes – The newly appointed Minister of Communications and Multimedia, The Honorable Dato’ Seri Ahmed Shabery Cheek is leading a record-breaking number of more than 60 Malaysian companies at MIPCOM 2013. His presence at MIPCOM emphasises the renewed commitment that the Malaysian government has in supporting the growth and development of the creative content industry.
The Malaysian Networking Reception at MIPCOM 2013, where the deals were announced, showcased a large number of industry support with the presence of His Excellency Dr. Yaacob Ibrahim, Minister for Communications & Information of Singapore and Mr. Paul Zilk, CEO of Reed MIDEM.
Arrival of Guest of Honour: The Honourable Dato’ Sri Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Minister of Communications & Multimedia (Malaysia); Paul Zilk, President of Reed Midem; His Excellency Dr. Yaacob Ibrahim, Minister of Communications & Information (Singapore)
The Networking Reception was the platform to announce 13 prominent deals worth over US $50 million that were witnessed and announced by the Minister.
2012 saw the creative content industry bringing in US$4 billion in for the country. This year, the number is expected to rise exponentially due to the government’s active involvement and support in creating the necessary infrastructure for Malaysia to facilitate creative content production.
The recently-opened Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios is a fully-equipped state-of-the-art production facility that will act as a tool for both local companies and foreign partners to utilise and develop world-class contents from within Malaysia. This studio is the only one of its kind in the whole Asia-Pacific region and is backed by cinema giant Pinewood Group. Pinewood Iskandar spans over two acres and there are five film sound stages with a total area of 100,000 sq ft including Southeast Asia’s largest interior water tanks, two 12,000 sq ft Hi-Definition-equipped television studios, 35,000 sq ft of production office space and many more world-class features unique to the region.
In addition to this world class facility, ASTRO has recently opened the doors of its facility to offer a full spectrum of services for production. This includes the use of full HD studios as well as a variety of other production services with highly trained personnel. The studio is home to over 170 TV channels and 37 HD channels and they have worked together with large prestigious companies such as NBC and Fox. ASTRO is currently involved in Asia’s Next Top Model – Season 2.
This is in line with the Malaysian Government’s National Film Development Corporation, FINAS’s recently released ‘Film in Malaysia Incentive’ (FIMI). The incentive is a 30% cash rebate for the development of film, TV and on screen productions. It is available for both local and foreign companies to benefit and develop the Malaysian production industry. The 30% cash rebate will be on audited in-country expenditure, as long as the company qualifies the minimum spend criteria of US $806,000 for local productions, US $1.66 million for foreign productions; or US $484,000 for post-production activity solely. This will be in effort to encourage film production here in Malaysia.
- Nippon TV’s award-winning drama series ‘Mother’ Thai version wins Best Script Writing at the 25th Asian Television Awards 130 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Period drama ‘Last Madame’ named Best Digital Fiction Series at the 25th Asian Television Awards 114 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Anchor-turned-actor Ivan Tai cast in RTM miniseries ‘A.I in Love’ with Janna Nick and Dini Shcatzmann 101 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- ‘The Witch of Kings Cross’ to be released worldwide on Amazon, iTunes, Vimeo, and GooglePlay on 9 February 77 views | posted on January 18, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020