More Filipinos watch TV on the Internet, says ABS-CBN
ABS-CBN Corporation reported that there is a growing number of Filipinos locally and abroad who have consumed television content online, based on the increasing hit rates of the company’s video-streaming websites iWantv!, and TFC.tv.
Data for the month of March show that iWantv! is the number one locally published website based on local traffic in the country, according to Effective Measure (EM), a research supplier for web audience measurement of the nation’s online publishers. The data also showed that iWantv! has generated 36.3 million views and attracted 2.7 million unique visitors in the Philippines viewing the latest and most recent episodes of ABS-CBN’s top rating programmes. This represents a 10% growth from 32.9 million views and a 15% increase in unique visitors from February.
Offshore, global Filipinos have been subscribing to the “Global Digital Tambayan for Filipinos” – TFC.tv (formerly TFC Now!) to watch their favorite Kapamilya programmes.
ABS-CBN Interactive Digital Media head Ralph Menorca said iWantv!’s success lies in the portal’s ability to reach a previously untapped market for television companies. “iWantv! caters to people on the go, who normally can’t catch the programs on schedule, and who want to watch their favorite shows at their own time. If you missed it on TV, you can watch it over the Internet.”
By 2015, experts estimate that the number of subscribers in the country availing of wireless broadband services through mobile devices would balloon to 31.5 million or six times more than the five million broadband users as of end-2011.
Meanwhile, there are about eight million smartphones and tablets in the country today with access to wireless data services from their respective networks. Market analysts see the number growing through 2015 with the devices’ increased functionality and declining prices as low-cost Android-enabled mobile phones, mid-range tablets, and cheap brands already in the market.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 320 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 64 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 62 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020