StarHub TV says it can now negotiate for rights to Barclays Premier League
Singapore – StarHub TV has finally entered negotiations for broadcast rights to Barclays Premier League. This comes five months after SingTel’s mio TV secured the rights on a non-exclusive basis in October 2012, which industry observers TV ASIA Plus spoke to believe might be “exclusive in disguise”.
Below is a statement from Ms Jeannie Ong, Head, Corporate Communications and Investor Relations, StarHub:
“We are finally able to open negotiations with the Premier League (PL) this week, five months after the BPL non-exclusive broadcast rights for Singapore were first announced by another pay-TV operator. We are seeking clarification from PL on the rights available for us to acquire.
StarHub has fully complied with the cross-carriage regime, and is the only operator in Singapore to have had its content cross-carried, as seen in the case of UEFA EURO 2012. For this widely anticipated sporting event last June, we could have signed a “non-exclusive” contract with a prohibitively high rebate and an “exclusive negotiating period”, to block access to the content. Instead we chose to comply with the cross carriage regime and made the content available to all Singapore viewers. We played fairly. All we are asking for is fair play. After all, football is all about competition and fair play.
- HBO confirmed as official partner on ‘Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries’ spin-off ‘Miss S’ 63 views | posted on September 16, 2020
- Spackman Entertainment Group’s ‘#ALIVE’ number one on Netflix globally 50 views | posted on September 15, 2020
- ZEASN announces brand-new Smart TV App Store V3.0 34 views | posted on September 18, 2020
- ABP Network focuses on telling inspiring stories gleaned from across the nation 32 views | posted on September 16, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020