Sydney– The ABC was the first Australian media organisation to establish a presence in Second Life (secondlife.com) when ABC Island opened for visitors, initially on a trial basis, on March 19. Second Life is a 3D virtual environment created by US-based Linden Lab in 2003. Within the computer-rendered world, 'residents' can explore a territory larger than 42,000 acres in real-world scale, where they can create their own identity (an 'avatar') and interact with others in a lifelike social space.
ABC Island enables visitors to design and create objects, discover a hidden underground music club, listen to indigenous stories, wander round an environmentally friendly eco house, experience ABC audio and video in a social environment and attend live screenings and concerts. Among live events planned are comedy gigs, concerts and interactive discussions. The Island was developed with 3D, sound and design students and staff from the Australian Film, Television and Radio School.
"Second Life presents the ABC with the perfect space to explore the 3D environment and test new ways of presenting content and creating interactive experiences" said Abigail Thomas, Head, Strategic Innovation & Development. "Everything we have learnt – and will continue to learn – from our first foray into this virtual world will stand us in good stead for a time when 3D environments become commonplace online."
- DreamWorks launches its brand-new virtual world, Dream Heroes 87 views | posted on June 15, 2021
- New Smithsonian Channel series ‘Dogs With Extraordinary Jobs’ features dogs working to make the world a better place 82 views | posted on June 14, 2021
- Cignal TV, TV5, Smart, and PLDT join forces to deliver multi-platform world-class coverage of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 79 views | posted on June 14, 2021
- NTV strikes deal with Walter Presents for ‘Murderous Fever’ 44 views | posted on June 14, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020