Government bodies across Asia have long recognised that information – and most particularly the highspeed and seamless delivery of such information to the populace – is the key to prosperity and improved standards of living. Across the region, we are seeing national information communication technology (ICT) strategies being developed, refined, and deployed. A prime case-in-point is the significant ICT goals outlined in Malaysia’s Ninth Malaysia Plan (9MP), which was unveiled in March 2006. Within the 9MP is the National Strategic Framework for Bridging the Digital Divide (BDD), which sets out to “expand the communications network to ensure more equitable access to information and services”.
The challenge Malaysia faces in the ICT sector is formidable. It currently has an overall computer penetration of 21.8% of households, with Internet dial-up penetration at 13.9% and broadband penetration at 1.9%. It is important to note that in Malaysia’s rural regions – where Internet connectivity is often rare or non-existent – this computer penetration figure falls to around 9% of households.
Malaysia is not the only country in the region targeting an order of magnitude escalation in PC and Internet penetrations. An important alternative information delivery method that could be considered by Malaysia – and indeed by many other Asian countries – is one that is already right under our nose, and ready to use. The television.
- HBO confirmed as official partner on ‘Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries’ spin-off ‘Miss S’ 50 views | posted on September 16, 2020
- Tata Sky partners with Accedo to develop the user interface of its Smart Set-top box – Tata Sky Binge+ 42 views | posted on September 14, 2020
- Spackman Entertainment Group’s ‘#ALIVE’ number one on Netflix globally 39 views | posted on September 15, 2020
- ABP Network focuses on telling inspiring stories gleaned from across the nation 28 views | posted on September 16, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020