Manager, Localization (APAC)
About the job
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
What Part Will You Play
The Localization and Compliance Manager is responsible for localization and cultural adaption of WarnerMedia Kids content, providing our audience with an experience that feels local across APAC. You will manage the localization of Kids content on SEA channels, especially for Bahasa Malaysia, Bahasa Indonesia, Thai, Cantonese, and other Asian language dubbing, in accordance with company goals, brand quality, and creative standards, and local broadcast regulations.
This role is to define APAC localization strategy, drive language and show launches & their prioritization and appropriate tactics. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define the best creative and linguistic approach for priority content. Coordinate with the localization team in APAC who are responsible for the quality, authenticity, and cultural adaption of Kids content experience across APAC languages.
Localization and Compliance manager establishes and oversees adherence to the Standards and Practices guidelines related to each Region in conjunction with Legal.
Essential Job Functions
Drive Creative Localization Strategy (30%)
- Define the APAC localization strategy and create the dubbing brief to deliver against overall business objectives for the key priority Kids contents.
- Work closely with local Dubbing team to influence the language strategy for the WarnerMedia contents.
- Develop linguistic and cultural standards and guidelines, define quality expectations across localized user experience.
- Prepare in-depth dubbing guideline documentation including the development of glossaries, tone and voice for our localization partners.
- Create best practices documentation to educate internal and external teams on how to best deliver localization materials.
- Advise on the best course of action regarding the localization process and the language strategy including songs dubbing.
Collaboration and Management (20%)
- Establish regular cross International / Regional collaboration on dubbing of global franchises.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams (Programming, CS, Marketing, PR, Digital, Social etc) to define the best creative and linguistic approach for priority content.
- Oversee celebrity casting of localization to provide maximum PR value and promotional opportunities.
- Coordinate efforts with teams to sync development efforts and localization schedules.
- Collaborate closely with other regions’ language managers to collect relevant cultural and linguistic information about Kids content and support the localization effort to bring the content to the local audience.
- Manage QC freelancers for SEA languages to ensure they have a clear understanding of WarnerMedia requirements, and the best practices are in place.
Manage Dubbing Quality (20%)
- Establish high quality standards and expectations for SEA localization work including dubbing, synopsis, glossary of terms etc.
- Provide dubbing studios with casting notes/advice and approve voice talent for SEA languages.
- Perform SQC/VQC for SEA languages by monitoring the linguistic quality output, providing feedback and context to the translation terms.
- Ensure dubbing fits with brand standards and local broadcast regulations.
Content Compliance & Standards (30%)
- Review and work with International Compliance team to advise any compliance and brands concerns for the Kids Originals during pre-production.
- Monitor local markets for shifting cultural concerns and standards.
- Provide advice to vendors and internal teams on appropriate actions.
- keep up to date on media industry developments and trends.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Languages, TV/Media or Communication preferred.
- 5+ years of creative localization experience in dubbing industry.
- Full professional fluency in English.
- Fluency in at least one core Asian languages e.g. Bahasa Malaysia, Mandarin etc.
- Intimate familiarity and strong knowledge of SEA markets, particularly relating to censorship issues.
- Demonstrate success in strategic and creative planning.
- Solid understanding of consumer expectations regarding subtitling and dubbing in Asia markets.
- Strong understanding of the creative processes involved in the dubbing from translation to voicing.
- Ability to work effectively cross-functionally and demonstrate leadership.
- A team player with high motivation an ability to build consensus with key stakeholders across a variety of cross-functional teams.
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management and external vendors.
- Asia Pacific TV experience preferred.
- Experience in Kids sector is beneficial.
- Knowledge of a core Asian language e.g. Bahasa Malaysia, Thai, Bahasa Indonesia.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 318 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 62 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 61 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020