Off The Fence picks up international rights to ‘Laura’s Choice’
Laura’s Choice, the feature documentary co-directed by Sam Lara and Cathy Henkel, has been picked up for international sales by leading factual producer and distributor Off The Fence, whose productions includes the Oscar© and BAFTA-winning My Octopus Teacher.
The ZDF Enterprises owned Off the Fence have taken all rights to all territories, ex Australia and New Zealand.
This moving and thought-provoking film looks at the life and death of Laura Henkel, an eccentric, outspoken, feisty 90-year-old. Laura has decided she wants to end her life on her own terms, and she asks her daughter Cathy and granddaughter Sam, both filmmakers, to make a film about it. Laura’s Choice explores complex questions as three generations of women navigate a radical and joyous approach to dying.
With a catalogue of over 6,500 hours of diverse programming, Off the Fence delivers high-quality programming to broadcasters and new media partners across the globe.
‘Sam and Cathy have created such a special film that will resonate with so many audiences around the world. We’re thrilled to be a part of its journey,” said Loren Baxter, Off The Fence’s Head of Acquisitions.
Cathy Henkel said: “Sam and I are absolutely thrilled to have Off The Fence represent Laura’s Choice internationally. Their care and passion align perfectly with the film.”
Following its premiere on the ABC in Australia last month, sparking powerful discussions across media and social platforms, Laura’s Choice has also been selected for New Zealand’s Doc Edge International Film Festival where it will screen in both Auckland and Wellington. The film is one of only three Australian films in the top 15 line-up announced to date.
Cathy and Sam have also been invited to join an international line-up of speakers at Doc Edge Forum, an annual industry conference that brings together local and international film, television and interactive media professionals, practitioners and stakeholders.
Laura’s Choice is a Virgo Productions Pty Limited film in collaboration with Factor 30 Films, directed by Sam Lara and Cathy Henkel and produced by Cathy Henkel, Sam Lara, Melissa Kelly and Ryan Hodgson, with Executive producer Chris Haws and ABC Commissioning Editor: Stephen Oliver.
- ViacomCBS consumer products bolster Asia team with new hires 60 views | posted on May 7, 2021
- Disney+ Hotstar set to launch in Malaysia on 1 June 48 views | posted on May 4, 2021
- TFC tops Comscore’s TV viewing engagement for Filipino networks in multicultural Asian households in the US in March 2021 45 views | posted on May 4, 2021
- Tencent’s WeTV now available on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 34 views | posted on May 7, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020