Games Workshop appoints former Hasbro Studios executive to a newly-created role as it renews focus on its content strategy
Games Workshop Group PLC, the hugely successful hobby, publishing, video games and retail business, has appointed former Turner Broadcasting and Hasbro Studios executive Finn Arnesen as its first head of entertainment development.
Reporting into Jon Gillard, Games Workshop’s EVP of global licensing, Arnesen is tasked with mining the extensive and multi-faceted Warhammer universe – home to thousands of novels and short stories, featuring a diverse range of engaging and extremely popular characters – to develop live-action and animated content for broadcast channels and platforms around the globe.
Arnesen, who was most recently SVP global distribution & development at Hasbro Studios, brings 25 years’ experience to the role. He inherits an initial content slate that includes the previously announced live-action drama based on the best-selling Eisenhorn series of novels. Eisenhorn, a classic tale of one powerful character’s fight against external and internal threats, set in the galaxy-spanning, dark dystopia of the 41st millennium, is currently being developed with Frank Spotnitz (The Man in the High Castle, The X-Files) and his company, Big Light Productions.
Jon Gillard comments: “In its almost 40-year history, Warhammer has been a leader in the field of tabletop and video gaming, growing into one of the most fully realised examples of fantasy and sci-fi world-building ever devised. The characters we’ve explored and stories we’ve told during that time, through games, books, comics and more, are crying out to be brought to the screen. Getting Finn on board, with his wealth of expertise and knowledge across both programming and wider IP use, combined with his sheer energy and passion, will continue to cement Warhammer as one of the most unique and distinctive fantasy settings ever.”
Finn Arnesen adds: “This is a hugely exciting time to be joining Games Workshop, and I am relishing the opportunity to work with such an established yet, in terms of entertainment, relatively unexplored universe as Warhammer. There is a tremendous appetite at present for series set in unique, fantastical worlds, so, with Warhammer’s thousands of stories, numerous worlds and countless memorable characters, our options are virtually limitless. I was delighted to discover there are already early discussions in place with a variety of production companies around the world, from LA to Japan, and an array of highly sought after writing talent, to bring the vast Warhammer universe to all platforms.”
The second facet to Games Workshop’s content strategy lies with the internal Warhammer Animation Team, which is working directly with world-class animation studios to develop official animated content for the thriving Warhammer Community. With three exciting shows nearing completion and a half-dozen more in development, there’s a lot to be excited about. A decision will be made as to how this content will be delivered to fans later this year.
Andy Smillie, EVP digital and community at Games Workshop, is leading this initiative; he comments: “Over the decades, Warhammer has attracted the most dedicated and passionate fans of any gaming and publishing franchises. Every day they reach out, asking for more ways to enjoy Warhammer. This new project will offer Warhammer fans everywhere rich, unique content to meet their insatiable demand. Combined with the mainstream entertainment strategy, we will soon be successfully delivering more Warhammer, more often, in multiple ways for dedicated and casual fans alike.”
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 318 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 62 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 61 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020