Netflix announces Korean adaptation of its Spanish original series ‘La Casa de Papel’
Netflix announced an exciting new original series project, the Korean adaptation of its beloved Spanish original series La Casa de Papel.
Set on the Korean peninsula, the Korean adaptation of La Casa de Papel will be directed by Kim Hong-sun, who has helmed TV dramas like The Guest, Voice, and Black and is known as a giant in the fantasy crime genre. Ryu Yong-jae and his team, whose credits include the Netflix original series My Holo Love and the tvN series Psychopath Diary, will be the screenwriters for the show. The production is a collaboration between BH Entertainment and Contents Zium.
Alex Pina, Creator and Executive Producer of La Casa de Papel said: “Korean creators have been developing their own language and audiovisual culture for years. They have managed, like our series, to go beyond cultural borders and become a point of reference for thousands of viewers around the world, especially among young people.” He added, “That is why I find it fascinating that the world of La Casa de Papel is so attractive to Korean creators as to do an adaptation. The fact that the action is set on the Korean Peninsula also seems to me to be a milestone which I am really delighted about.”
Since Part 1 premiered in 2017, the heist of La Casa de Papel has been storming the world. More than 65 million member households chose to watch Part 4 of the Spanish language series in the first four weeks of its release in April 2020, and the 5th and final part of La Casa de Papel are currently in production.
The international popularity of the Spanish series La Casa de Papel is proof that significant works based in different cultures and languages can be widely distributed by Netflix and loved by audiences worldwide. With its production of 12 episodes of the Korean adaptation, Netflix is expected to breathe new life into the familiar storyline and bring the material afresh to global audiences.
More information about the heist in Korea will be announced at a later date.
- New Smithsonian Channel series ‘Dogs With Extraordinary Jobs’ features dogs working to make the world a better place 95 views | posted on June 14, 2021
- DreamWorks launches its brand-new virtual world, Dream Heroes 95 views | posted on June 15, 2021
- Cignal TV, TV5, Smart, and PLDT join forces to deliver multi-platform world-class coverage of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 90 views | posted on June 14, 2021
- NTV strikes deal with Walter Presents for ‘Murderous Fever’ 46 views | posted on June 14, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020