International best-seller ‘The Three-Body Problem’ to be adapted as a Netflix original series
The first time I read The Three-Body Problem trilogy (Remembrance of Earth’s Past), it changed what science fiction meant to me forever.
Although it may seem like a familiar premise – the story of humanity’s first contact with an alien civilization – Chinese author Liu Cixin’s ability to interweave science with fiction made his vision of the future and extra-terrestrial contact feel more realistic than any other science fiction I’ve read. At the same time, I was also drawn in by the story of all of humanity vulnerable to the same external threat and how this both unifies and divides humans.
Since my earliest days at Netflix working on series like Black Mirror and Sense8, I’ve sought out stories and POVs that are singular. This story felt singular, special – and eminently relatable. That’s why I’m pleased to announce that the Hugo Award-winning The Three-Body Problem and its two sequels are coming to Netflix as a series.
We have been granted the rights from The Three-Body Universe and Yoozoo Group to produce the English-language series adaptation and have assembled a talented and thoughtful creative team to do so. Every person involved not only shares a passion and high esteem for the books, but also the creative vision and ambition to help bring this remarkable story to life for audiences around the world.
The creative team
That team starts with writers and executive producers David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (Game of Thrones), and Alexander Woo (The Terror: Infamy, True Blood), who have experience tackling ambitious sagas over time and space, as well as executive producers Rian Johnson and producing partner Ram Bergman (Looper, Knives Out, Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi), who have long dazzled fans with thrilling and mind-bending epics. As soon as we started discussing this project, I would receive frequent emails from them and we would discuss the books compulsively whenever we were in touch. They are all fierce advocates for the source material.
As ardent fans of the books, it was especially meaningful to us to get the support of Liu Cixin who created this expansive universe. Cixin has gone one step further and has joined as a consulting producer alongside Ken Liu, who wrote the English translation for The Three-Body Problem and Death’s End. Having Cixin and Ken involved will help ensure that the spirit of the books remains intact.
Rounding out the creative team is a deep bench of venerable and passionate executive producers:
- Bernadette Caulfield (Game of Thrones, The X-Files), newly-installed President of Benioff & Weiss’ production company.
- Nena Rodrigue, President of Television for Johnson and Bergman’s production company, T-Street.
- Lin Qi, Chairman of the rights-holders – Yoozoo Group and The Three-Body Universe, and Zhao Jilong, Vice President of The Three-Body Universe, who are deeply committed to meaningfully building out the Three-Body franchise.
- Plan B Entertainment (Brad Pitt, Jeremy Kleiner, and Dede Gardner’s company) known for bringing to screen critically acclaimed and global projects with great reverence including Okja for Netflix and the Academy Award–winning Moonlight.
- Rosamund Pike and Robie Uniacke whose company Primitive Streak specializes in prestigious international literary property.
To quote The Three-Body Problem, “In my line of work, it’s all about putting together many apparently unconnected things. When you piece them together the right way, you get the truth.”
We all share the same goal: to pay homage to this incredible story and take members on the adventure of a lifetime.
-Peter Friedlander, Vice President, Original Series Drama
- Disney+ officially starts streaming in Singapore on 23 February 70 views | posted on February 24, 2021
- Colors Kannada launches ‘BIGG BOSS Kannada’ Season 8 68 views | posted on February 26, 2021
- Fremantle acquires multi-territory production rights for ‘Good With Wood’ 53 views | posted on February 25, 2021
- VOOT launches interactivity for Colors fiction shows 37 views | posted on February 24, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020