Discovery announces appointment of Tony Qiu as Senior Vice President and General Manager – East & Southeast Asia
Discovery, Inc. announces the appointment of Tony Qiu as Senior Vice President and General Manager – East & Southeast Asia as well as the Head of Global Location Based Entertainment Business for Discovery Networks. Effective immediately, he will oversee all aspects of business development and operational performance across the company’s award-winning portfolio of entertainment brands. Qiu is currently based in China and will relocate to Singapore in his new role.
In his duo leadership role, Qiu is charged with driving the growth of Discovery’s business across the region and expanding its offerings with a focus on developing solutions and opportunities to target the region’s growing digitally active consumers.
Qiu joined Discovery in 2018 and was previously spearheading the company’s business across Greater China and Korea. With Qiu’s international business management experience and insight of the local markets, he has innovated business models in advertisement sales, content production, location-based entertainment (LBE), and digital ventures in the region for Discovery, leading to continuous double digital business growth.
“Tony’s track record of success shows that he is the perfect fit to lead Discovery in its next phases of growth. With his diverse background and rich experience, Qiu has a strong understanding of the region, is an experienced leader, and possesses a customer-first mindset. I’m confident that Discovery will continue to thrive under his leadership,” said Simon Robinson, President APAC & Chief Transformation Officer at Discovery Inc.
“I’m thrilled about this opportunity and I’m already immensely proud of what our team has accomplished. Today, Discovery offers some of the highest quality and most engaging content across more screens than ever before. This is an exciting time for us and I can’t wait to continue building and reshaping digital entertainment to reach a new generation of viewers,” said Tony Qiu, Vice President And General Manager – East & Southeast Asia, Discovery and Head of Global Location Based Entertainment Business for Discovery Networks.
Prior to joining Discovery, Qiu was with JD.Com, China’s leading one-stop e-commerce platform where he was instrumental in building JD’s cross-border e-commerce business JD Worldwide from the ground up to become the nation’s second e-commerce largest player.
Qiu holds an MBA from MIT Sloan School of Management. He is fluent in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Hakka.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 98 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Celestial Tiger Entertainment launches KIX on MultiChoice’s DStv in Africa 37 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Singaporean Tyen Rasif wins ‘Asian Dream’ 29 views | posted on September 23, 2020
- True crime documentary series ‘The Night Caller’ pre-sales from Abacus Media Rights 27 views | posted on September 25, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020