The Singapore High Court has blocked dozens of illicit streaming sites
The Singapore High Court ordered Singapore internet service providers to block the access to 17 sites associated with piracy streaming, and 41 domains that are linked to illicit streaming device (ISD) applications.
The ruling comes as networks including BBC Studios, Discovery, the Premiere League, La Liga, and TVB sought an order from the Singapore High Court on 19 June.
According to a press release from the Asia Video Industry Association (AVIA), “piracy streaming websites and illicit streaming device (ISD) ecosystem impacts all the businesses involved in the production and distribution of legitimate content.”
AVIA said that the devices are configured with applications to stream content from illegal content servers and users are given access to unauthorised TV channels, live sports channels, and movies for a one-off price and a yearly subscription to access the content.
The applications, according to AVIA, “flagrantly infringe copyright by acting as gateways to website or content servers streaming pirated content.” These are preloaded on ISDs which are discreetly sold in retail outlets or in e-markets.
Neil Grane, the General Manager of AVIA’s Coalition Against Piracy (CAP) said, “The content industry will make every effort to prevent and disrupt the illegal feeds of live sports, TV channels and VOD content which are being monetised by crime syndicates. Consumers who buy ISDs or access piracy streaming sites are not only funding crime groups, but also wasting their time and money when the channels and websites stop working. Piracy services do not come with a ‘service guarantee’, no matter what the ISD seller or website operators may claim.”
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 303 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- BBC Studios licenses the scripted format ‘Doctor Foster’ to ABS-CBN 41 views | posted on April 13, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 40 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 35 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020