ABC Commercial announced that it has reached an agreement with UK public broadcaster BBC for UK broadcast rights for the high-octane, fast-paced, children’s action-adventure series Itch (10 x 30’) based on the best-selling children’s books by popular UK television and radio presenter, Simon Mayo.
Itch follows the adventures of Itchingham Lofte, a science obsessed teenager who pursues the unusual hobby of collecting all the elements on the Periodic Table. When Itch gets his hands on a new, previously unknown element, things start to get interesting. Pursued by his malevolent teacher, the government, and an evil corporation who are out to commandeer the element for their own nefarious purposes, Itch must draw on his science know-how to stay one step ahead of his adversaries and keep himself alive.
The ABC’s Head of Content Sales & Distribution, Jessica Ellis said, “The BBC is the most prestigious broadcaster of children’s programs in the world, ABC Commercial is thrilled that our first-class content will now be seen on their platform.” Ellis added: “ABC Commercial has been working hard on expanding our portfolio of children’s and young adult content, this sale is recognition that the hard work has paid off and that our high-quality content resonates with the audience around the world.”
The series was filmed in the beautiful coastal town of Albany, Western Australia. Producers of the series, Komixx Entertainment (The Kissing Booth) felt the Great Southern landscape of regional Western Australia was similar to the rugged coastline of Cornwall in the UK, where the ‘Itch’ novels are set. Both locations share stunning natural vistas and provide dramatic, picturesque backdrops, so, given those similarities and the universality of Itch’s themes, moving the TV series to Australia was not such a giant leap.
Itch is a Komixx Entertainment Production in association with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Screen Australia, Screenwest, and Western Australia Regional Film Fund. Based on the best-selling book by Simon Mayo the screenplay is written by Melanie Halsall, Dan Berlinka, Ron Elliott, Heather Wilson, Jessica Brookman, and Roger Monk. Produced by Amanda Morrison, Tania Chambers, and Melanie Halsall.
Itch will be broadcast on BBC’s children’s channel CBBC.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 80 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- ZEASN announces brand-new Smart TV App Store V3.0 43 views | posted on September 18, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 43 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 41 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020