ABC Commercial announced that it has reached an agreement with UK public broadcaster BBC for UK broadcast rights for the high-octane, fast-paced, children’s action-adventure series Itch (10 x 30’) based on the best-selling children’s books by popular UK television and radio presenter, Simon Mayo.
Itch follows the adventures of Itchingham Lofte, a science obsessed teenager who pursues the unusual hobby of collecting all the elements on the Periodic Table. When Itch gets his hands on a new, previously unknown element, things start to get interesting. Pursued by his malevolent teacher, the government, and an evil corporation who are out to commandeer the element for their own nefarious purposes, Itch must draw on his science know-how to stay one step ahead of his adversaries and keep himself alive.
The ABC’s Head of Content Sales & Distribution, Jessica Ellis said, “The BBC is the most prestigious broadcaster of children’s programs in the world, ABC Commercial is thrilled that our first-class content will now be seen on their platform.” Ellis added: “ABC Commercial has been working hard on expanding our portfolio of children’s and young adult content, this sale is recognition that the hard work has paid off and that our high-quality content resonates with the audience around the world.”
The series was filmed in the beautiful coastal town of Albany, Western Australia. Producers of the series, Komixx Entertainment (The Kissing Booth) felt the Great Southern landscape of regional Western Australia was similar to the rugged coastline of Cornwall in the UK, where the ‘Itch’ novels are set. Both locations share stunning natural vistas and provide dramatic, picturesque backdrops, so, given those similarities and the universality of Itch’s themes, moving the TV series to Australia was not such a giant leap.
Itch is a Komixx Entertainment Production in association with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Screen Australia, Screenwest, and Western Australia Regional Film Fund. Based on the best-selling book by Simon Mayo the screenplay is written by Melanie Halsall, Dan Berlinka, Ron Elliott, Heather Wilson, Jessica Brookman, and Roger Monk. Produced by Amanda Morrison, Tania Chambers, and Melanie Halsall.
Itch will be broadcast on BBC’s children’s channel CBBC.
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 51 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- AXN All-Stars reunites entertainment heavyweights in a heart-warming virtual collaborative performance 46 views | posted on November 27, 2020
- AVIA closes the year on a high note with its biggest turnout yet for the Asia Video Summit 41 views | posted on November 25, 2020
- iQIYI International expands global footprint with launch on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 38 views | posted on November 27, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020