GMA Network, the most internationally-awarded broadcast network in the Philippines, gave the country a new set of recognitions after winning the Silver World Medal for “Babies4Sale.PH” and the Bronze World Medal for “Aeta Squadron/Female Spies” and scoring the most number of short-listed entries from the Philippines at the prestigious 2020 New York Festivals “World’s Best TV and Films” Competition.
Earning the Silver World Medal in the Best Investigative Report category is the “Babies4Sale.PH” episode of Investigative Documentaries (The Atom Araullo Specials). The winning documentary hosted by Atom Araullo investigated the alarming baby transactions that became prevalent in social media. The same episode has also received awards and commendations from other international award-giving bodies such as the US International Film & Video Festival, Asian Academy Creative Regional Awards, and the AIBs in London.
Taking home the Bronze World Medal in the History & Society category was Brigada’s (Brigade) “Aeta Squadron/Female Spies”. The said documentary hosted by Kara David featured the situation of Aeta Squadron 30, whose contribution in defending the country during World War II seemed to be unrecognized as they have yet to receive or enjoy any military pension.
Over the years, GMA Network holds the distinction of being the most awarded Philippine organization at the New York Festivals. This year, it once again earned the most number of short-listed entries from the country and took home seven finalist certificates for the following programs and features:
- Reporter’s Notebook – “Project Philippines: Medical Facility” (Social Issues category)
- State of the Nation with Jessica Soho – Luzon Earthquake coverage ( Best Newscast category)
- Investigative Documentaries (The Atom Araullo Specials) – “The Patient is Out” (Human Concerns category)
- Born to Be Wild – “Big Catch” (Climate Change & Sustainability category)
- Investigative Documentaries – “Tulaylay” (Bridge) (Social Issues category)
- Stand for Truth – Hong Kong protests (Coverage of Continuing News Story category)
Completing the list of GMA Network’s finalists this year is GMA Program Support Department’s TV spot for Bonifacio Day which took home a finalist certificate for Best Graphic Design under the Promotion/Open and IDs category.