The lat1est movie written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood, took the 2019 Cannes Film Festival by storm. The film visits late 60’s Los Angeles with colour and vitality realised by cinematographer Robert Richardson.
To create the distinctive vintage look of the period, Yvan Lucas, a veteran DI colourist with a unique international story, made the most of the rich functionality of the Baselight grading platform. Lucas, based in Los Angeles, is a pioneer of colour timing. He started at film lab Éclair in Paris before moving to DI grading and eventually to the US. His career spans over 30 years and ten different labs, and has included creative collaborations with a long list of iconic cinematographers, including Darius Khondji, Robert Richardson and Rodrigo Prieto.
Lucas credits the work he did with Khondji and director Jean-Pierre Jeunet – especially Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children – on launching his international career and leading him to Los Angeles.
With his incredible eye and memory for colour, Lucas has been credited with dailies and DI on over 60 features on both sides of the pond, including Se7en, Amelie, I am Legend, Argo, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Lost City of Z and the upcoming Martin Scorsese film The Irishman. He has become a key figure in the film industry, working with highly regarded directors such as Luc Besson, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese. And, of course, Quentin Tarantino.
Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood marks his fourth collaboration with Tarantino – after The Hateful Eight, Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds.
Because of his natural affinity with the way that Tarantino works, Lucas was tasked with overseeing the look from dailies right through to final colour. DoP Bob Richardson, with whom Yvan has worked on 11 films, collaborated with him and colour scientist Matt Tomlinson to create the show LUT, which was established quite early on.
In parallel, associate colourist Elodie Ichter would work on the digital version of the dailies, using FilmLight’s Daylight dailies platform. Lucas would then finesse the final colours.
- Disney+ officially starts streaming in Singapore on 23 February 66 views | posted on February 24, 2021
- Colors Kannada launches ‘BIGG BOSS Kannada’ Season 8 58 views | posted on February 26, 2021
- Fremantle acquires multi-territory production rights for ‘Good With Wood’ 50 views | posted on February 25, 2021
- VOOT launches interactivity for Colors fiction shows 33 views | posted on February 24, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020