myCinema announces world’s first use of h.265/HEVC compression in digital cinema
CHESEAUX/PHOENIX – NAGRA, a Kudelski Group company and the world’s leading independent provider of content protection and multiscreen television solutions, has announced a world-first in the history of digital cinema with the successful use of cloud technology and HEVC compression with myCinema, a cloud-based Content as a Service (CaaS) that brings together content creators, cinema owners, and movie lovers to enjoy exciting entertainment.
Emagine Entertainment, a US movie theater circuit and myCinema exhibition licensee, collaborated in the deployment of the NAGRA technology at its Royal Oak Cinema in Detroit, with the presentation of the first-run movie Ideal Home starring Paul Rudd, earlier this summer.
The new technology milestone makes use of robust content distribution technologies and security components from NAGRA’s cloud-based OTT streaming and Security Services platforms to provide a significant reduction in content distribution and storage costs for cinema owners while improving the content’s visual quality. NAGRA’s DVnor post-production media asset management services provide the myCinema CaaS with secure and quality-controlled h.265/HEVC compressed movies and special event programming directly to cinema projection rooms.
“This is the first-time audiences have enjoyed a feature length film leveraging advanced digital compression technology via a NAGRA-secured myCinema theater premise equipment (TPE),” said Jean-Luc Jezouin, SVP Business Development at NAGRA. “The plug-and-play experience of the myCinema solution offers a significant leap in digital cinema distribution technology, alleviating enormous costs experienced with traditional Digital Cinema Prints (DCP).”
“Since the successful launch of myCinema at CinemaCon 2018, NAGRA has licensed dozens of myCinema exhibition partners, representing more than 200 cinema properties,” adds Jezouin. “To complete this exciting new era of technological innovation we have licensed the cinematic distribution rights for first-run movies, alternative content, foreign language films, esports, live play, opera and other offerings. This new cloud-based distribution system offers an innovative way forward delivering tangible ROI for theaters from a continually growing database of content.”
myCinema enables owners and operators to schedule and promote music events, sporting events, opera, ballet, Broadway, first-run independent film, re-releases of some of the best known and beloved film franchises, cinematic TV, eSports, content from around the globe, and more. myCinema is ramping up its content portfolio and currently accepting bookings for an extensive content line-up, which includes The Landing, an award-winning science fiction thriller about the Apollo 18 crash, and a trio of Spanish-language films.
- HBO confirmed as official partner on ‘Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries’ spin-off ‘Miss S’ 50 views | posted on September 16, 2020
- Tata Sky partners with Accedo to develop the user interface of its Smart Set-top box – Tata Sky Binge+ 42 views | posted on September 14, 2020
- Spackman Entertainment Group’s ‘#ALIVE’ number one on Netflix globally 39 views | posted on September 15, 2020
- ABP Network focuses on telling inspiring stories gleaned from across the nation 28 views | posted on September 16, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020