Netflix Calibrated Mode brings studio quality picture mastering to the living room
SAN FRANCISCO – Netflix has introduced Netflix Calibrated Mode, a new feature developed by Sony picture quality and device experts in collaboration with Netflix colour scientists and available exclusively on Sony’s Bravia Master Series A9F OLED and Z9F LED TVs.
Supported for any type of content on Netflix, including but not limited to 4K and HDR, this feature leverages Sony’s strength in image processing to provide a display mode that configures the TV the same way creators calibrate their monitors in post-production.
Netflix has been consistently guided by a singular focus on using technology to give consumers choice and control over the entertainment they watch, delivered in efficient quality. Advanced audio and video capabilities like Dolby Atmos, 4K, and HDR offer inspiring new creative opportunities to storytellers, to engage audiences deeply and authentically.
And results have shown, with viewing hours for 4K and HDR content climbing dramatically, and with roughly one-third of Smart TVs that use Netflix supporting HDR.
With one simple menu setting, the Calibrated Mode allows members to view TV shows, films, and documentaries on Netflix as they were meant to be seen, with precise colours, accurate dynamic contrast, and true motion – removing any “soap opera effect.”
Consider a show like Stranger Things that is both real and fantastic, familiar but other-worldly – murky details of the Upside Down and the eerie flashes of light in the night sky can be more noticeable and visceral.
And for Lost In Space, the vivid landscapes will be enhanced – lush forests, shadowed snowfields, and other visual elements that pulls deeply into the Robinsons’ adventures.
“Netflix and Sony share a deep immersion in the studio world both as technology leaders and content creators. So for us, these stories aren’t just TV shows or movies, but they’re works of art. And preserving creative intent is important not only to the storytellers but also to the viewer, because colour, brightness and sound are all part of the story,” said Scott Mirer, Vice President, Device Partner Ecosystem at Netflix.
“We can’t wait for our members around the world watching on Sony’s new Bravia Master Series TVs to get this fantastic experience and for the very first time deliver studio quality picture mastering to the living room with Netflix Calibrated Mode.”
Watch Netflix Calibrated Mode in action:
- HBO confirmed as official partner on ‘Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries’ spin-off ‘Miss S’ 50 views | posted on September 16, 2020
- Tata Sky partners with Accedo to develop the user interface of its Smart Set-top box – Tata Sky Binge+ 42 views | posted on September 14, 2020
- Spackman Entertainment Group’s ‘#ALIVE’ number one on Netflix globally 39 views | posted on September 15, 2020
- ABP Network focuses on telling inspiring stories gleaned from across the nation 28 views | posted on September 16, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020