HONG KONG – Showtime has announced a brand new satirical half-hour series from comedian Sacha Baron Cohen. Famous for creating a roster of iconic moments and incendiary characters, Baron Cohen returns to series television for the first time in more than a decade, writing and directing Who is America?
Having been in the works over the past year, the seven-episode series will explore diverse individuals, from the infamous to the unknown across the political and cultural spectrum, who populate the unique nation.
The first episode premiered in Asia on FX and FOX+ on 16 July, the same day as the US. The announcement of the comedy series was made by David Nevins, President and CEO of Showtime Networks.
“Sacha is a comedic genius who shocks you with his audacity, bravery and inventiveness,” Nevins said. “He is the premier provocateur of our time, but not for the sake of ‘gotcha’ moments. Behind the elaborate setup is a genuine quest for the truth about people, places and politics. Nobody knows how to cause a stir like Sacha Baron Cohen, and it’s going to be fascinating to watch what happens when Who is America? is released to the world.”
Two time BAFTA and Golden Globe winning, and Oscar nominated actor, writer and comedian of television and film, Baron Cohen burst onto the comedy scene with Da Ali G Show, which received six Emmy Award nominations and two BAFTA awards during its four-year run. He served as executive producer, writer and actor on the series.
Baron Cohen’s next project was Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, a feature film starring his second alter ego, Borat Sagdiyev, a Kazakhstani news reporter. He produced, wrote and starred in the film, which was a worldwide phenomenon opening No. 1 in 24 countries and garnered Baron Cohen a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical and an Academy Award nomination for Adapted Screenplay.
Other film credits include Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Les Miserables, Bruno, Tim Burton’s Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Madagascar, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, Madagascar 3; Europe’s Most Wanted, The Dictator, Hugo and Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.
Who is America? is created and executive produced by Baron Cohen and is also executive produced by Anthony Hines, Todd Schulman, Andrew Newman, Dan Mazer and Adam Lowitt.
Watch the video teaser for Who is America?:
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 51 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- AXN All-Stars reunites entertainment heavyweights in a heart-warming virtual collaborative performance 46 views | posted on November 27, 2020
- AVIA closes the year on a high note with its biggest turnout yet for the Asia Video Summit 41 views | posted on November 25, 2020
- iQIYI International expands global footprint with launch on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 38 views | posted on November 27, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020