Fremantlemedia acquires Japanese Entertainment Format VS Kids
London – FremantleMedia has acquired the format rights to entertainment series Vs Kids from TV Asahi in Japan. Vs Kids pits former professionals against new generation stars, both champions in their respective categories, as they compete to see who will be the ultimate champion.
When an ex-pro is pitted against a current young star of the same field in a serious match, real international competition rules apply. There are no advantages given to the kid champions nor handicaps to the pros, as professional commentators give live play by play commentaries of the competition.
Vs Kids originally launched in a late evening slot in October 2016 and proved to be an instant hit. The series was then immediately promoted to primetime in the autumn and continues to attract huge ratings, while expanding into both academic and game categories.
Vasha Wallace, EVP, Global Acquisitions and Development, said: “It’s an exciting and timely for a show like Vs Kids. This feel-good multi-generational format has a universal appeal. The series has done incredibly well in Japan on TV Asahi, both in terms of ratings and reception. The former professionals are thrilled to pass the torch to the new generation, while the young champions are keen to prove themselves to their predecessors.”
Yuka Kakui, Head of Format Development and Sales, TV Asahi, said: “We are very excited to be working with FremantleMedia on this format, which has great potential to be widely appreciated by a global audience. The show has received much acclaim and continues to be a stellar and unique program in our primetime. As Japan prepares for next summer’s Olympic Games, we are thrilled that many young and uprising champions will be given a stage and look forward to many countries seeing the talent and enthusiasm of former champions.”
- The Q bolsters its original content offering; Announces first TV original ‘Crime Aur Kanoon’ 173 views | posted on July 20, 2021
- Astro launches its new Ultra Plug & Play Box 122 views | posted on July 23, 2021
- iQiyi reveals brand-new Chinese language drama slate 121 views | posted on July 21, 2021
- Asia’s e-sports broadcasters unlock an exciting world of gameplay 93 views | posted on July 20, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021