MIPCOM: Colombia makes waves in international audiovisual market
This is for a good reason: Bogotá, the epicentre of audiovisual production in the country, has the highest concentration of production facilities and professionals. This city alone has 74 film and television studios. Over the last ten years, more than 55,000 students have graduated with degrees directly related to the audiovisual industry: producers, directors, actors, film and post-production technicians, etc. Numerous international productions (TV series, films) have now gone even further by producing almost all their content in Colombia.
Agreements, benefits and grants to stimulate foreign co-productions
The Colombian Ministry of Culture and the Proimagenes – Colombia Film Commission fund work together to grant audiovisual subsidies from their respective budgets of €4.3 million and €11.5 million.
The programme provides for the reimbursement of a producer’s expenses incurred in Colombia through tax credits at variable rates: 20% of expenses linked to logistics (accommodation, transport, catering), and up to 40% of expenses linked to design and development (preparation, filming and post-production, including artistic and technical services).
The signing of a new co-production agreement between France and Colombia in 2013 has since given new impetus to their collaboration by softening the financial terms and rules for sharing the contributions made by the respective co-producers of each country in a cinematographic project. Previously fixed at a variable rate of 30% to 70% of the final cost of the project, it has now increased to 20% to 80%.
This agreement has paid dividends in terms of cinematographic co-production, with France, Argentina and Spain as the main co-producers. Spain represents 24.7% of all co-production with 18 films, while France and Argentina both represent 19.2% with 14 films each.
- True crime documentary series ‘The Night Caller’ pre-sales from Abacus Media Rights 42 views | posted on September 25, 2020
- Ekaterina Yakushenko joins newly revamped THEMA RUS 42 views | posted on September 25, 2020
- Reed Exhibitions announces leadership change at Reed MIDEM 34 views | posted on September 29, 2020
- GoQuest Media signs international distribution rights for ‘Rats’ 31 views | posted on September 25, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020