93.4% of respondents watch SVOD services daily, a habit that increased slightly q/q and 2.1% y/y.
The largest group (75.7%) watches three hours or less per day of SVOD content, an increase of 3.2% q/q.
User experiences and content discovery within SVOD services continue to be superb with 82.1% of respondents answering they are pleased with their ability to find something to watch on SVOD services — the highest level of satisfaction for this question across all survey results dating back to Q3 2015, when it was added.
Because Netflix is the clear leader in the SVOD industry, it’s important to understand why the service appeals so strongly to respondents. For the fourth quarter in a row, the top three most appealing Netflix
“All members of your household can create their own profile” – 57.7%, a slight increase q/q, and 3.9% y/y.
“Price (the cost of Netflix plays a key role in why I use the service)” – 56.1%
“Search (the ability to search for a piece of content to watch)” – 48%
Based on these benefits, it seems pay-TV providers may not be rolling out user experience upgrades such as recommendations as fast as consumers want them. Streaming services have the technical ability to test/update UIs more easily and quickly compared to a set-top box — could this be yet another competitive advantage over pay-TV, resulting in less churn because content is easier to find?
In Q1 2017, 65.2% of respondents answered they are frustrated “always” or “sometimes” when trying to find something to watch on TV. Overall frustration increased 2.2% y/y and 3.4% over two years. Another source of frustration when navigating the myriad of available content sources and platforms is inconsistency in content availability.
As consumers become increasingly connected and mobile, many are discovering some content is only available on certain services, devices, or platforms — or specific episodes and seasons are trapped behind additional pay walls. In Q1 2017, 28.4% of respondents stopped watching a show they previously enjoyed because it became too difficult to access.
- Discovery, Inc. announces leadership changes in Asia Pacific 119 views | posted on August 3, 2021
- Disney’s ‘Jungle Cruise’ to stream on Disney+ with Premier Access from 30 July 75 views | posted on July 30, 2021
- Stay entertained with these new and exciting releases from Viu this August 65 views | posted on August 2, 2021
- Tata Sky Binge delivers aggregation across 11 streaming apps, powered by ThinkAnalytics 58 views | posted on July 30, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021