Amanda, what is your focus right now?
The real focus right now is with the U.K. and U.S. broadcasters who do not have Asian producers, and the Asian producers here don’t have to talk to hundreds of Americans or British producers because I am their bridge. I bring the ideas that will work so I’m a glorified matchmaker for broadcasters for television programme ideas and business strategy as a whole. I’m looking at how we can share development, funding and how I can get British broadcasters and American broadcasters to start taking Asia more seriously. Culturally they are panicking because their audiences are getting smaller and the places with growing audiences especially among youth with digital connection are all in Asia. That is where my model works because it’s not just cooking shows or lifestyle shows although those are the safe ones to start with. We’re also doing format exchanges. I’m looking at a lot of Asian formats and I’m thinking, ‘can I re-version them for the Western market and vice-versa so it’s a whole fl ow of business for both markets’. If you watch how CJ is working with Endemol Shine, that is sort of collaboration that I’m talking to CJ as well as others with other programme ideas. We know that audiences are very different but I don’t see anybody else trying to make it work on both sides. When I approach a broadcaster in London, the first thing I ask, “Are you prepared to share the rights because it is not going work for an Asian broadcaster?” I think the biggest attraction for British and American companies is Asia. This is where the growing youth segments are today.
What is the perception of the West coming to the East?
- AXN All-Stars reunites entertainment heavyweights in a heart-warming virtual collaborative performance 80 views | posted on November 27, 2020
- iQIYI International expands global footprint with launch on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 69 views | posted on November 27, 2020
- Astro Media Solutions and Smiley ink exclusive media license partnership 57 views | posted on November 26, 2020
- Netflix brings a variety of entertainment with seven new Korean films and series 47 views | posted on November 26, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020