People are more concerned about world events now
Hong Kong/London − BBC World News announced the findings of a new global survey into changing attitudes towards international affairs. The global study showed that an average 69% of people are more concerned about world events now than they have ever been before. In Hong Kong, this figure rose slightly to 73%, with more than two thirds (67%) of those polled in the territory agreeing that news stories from other parts of the world are more relevant to them now than ever before.
On average, of the countries polled, the main areas of concern were news stories about terrorism (70%), war/conflict (59%), health (55%) and the environment (52%). Hong Kong had different concerns – respondents had the strongest response to health (71%), followed by the global economy (64%) and terrorism (63%).
Globalisation is driving interest and behavioural change, with more than half of those surveyed globally (55%) saying that they pay more attention to global news than they have in the past and that they discuss international news with friends and family (58%).
The study revealed that global news plays an important role in making people feel informed about it. 69% of respondents in Hong Kong say global events play an important role in feeling informed, as well as in aiding the understanding of the world they live in (69%). However, while 60% pay more attention to global news stories as a result of seeing them, respondents from Hong Kong are more passive when it comes to conversation; they are 8% less likely than the global average to speak to family and friends about global news stories (51% Hong Kong vs 58% globally).
- GMA News and GMA Public Affairs are the top online news outlets in the Philippines 177 views | posted on August 4, 2020
- New young adult basketball mini-series ‘Fly The Jumper’ broke record viewerships 111 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Astro: Agility in adapting to the new world 101 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- ABP News lights up the weekends with a slew of fresh programming 41 views | posted on August 3, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020