Total Black Out, already in 17 territories worldwide, extended its international footprint to two further markets in the few months; Brazil (Bandeirantes) and France (W9). In France the show, in which six people struggle over a series of knock-out rounds to compete to survive outrageous challenges in complete darkness, outperformed the broadcaster across all key demographics (including the lucrative 15-34 year old demo, where it performed +86% above average).
Even long-established formats such as Family Feud are benefitting from the trend. In the US, where the show has been running since 1976, the series, which is now fronted by comedian Steve Harvey, reached a new high in January 2015, attaining an average Household rating of 7.2 – the show’s highest performance for over 20 years. In Australia, it regularly ranks as the No.1 show in its time slot for young adults and in the UK S11 launched to an audience of 5.4 million viewers outperforming the S10 launch by +37%.
“Laughter is a global currency,” said Chris O’Dell, Director of Global Production at FremantleMedia, “and the fact that these shows all extended their global footprint and performed so well in these new markets is proof that comedy in a Gameshow or Studio show is a winning formula, no matter where in the world they go. While these shows have always been about fun, today’s clever casting and scripting, which aims to maximise comedic value while still staying true to the principals of the core show, are attracting new viewers, particularly in the sought-after younger demo. That’s got to be great news for broadcasters.”
- Quintus acquires factual titles for its VOD channels Free Documentary and Free Documentary Nature 52 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- Watch features and short films for free at the inaugural True Colors Film Festival 48 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- all3media international announces pre-sales to five continents for new Russell T. Davies drama ‘It’s A Sin’ 47 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 41 views | posted on November 23, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020