Hong Kong − In line with the conversion of TV programmes viewing media that audience prefers and the advancement of information technology, Television Broadcasts Limited (TVB) grasps the opportunity in exploring the Over-the-top (OTT) broadcast business. In parallel with the collaboration with Hutchison Global Communications Limited (HGC) and 3 Hong Kong in sales and distribution, the OTT broadcast service platform is scheduled to be in service in early 2016. This marks a significant milestone in ‘New Television Experience’, not only to TVB itself, but also, to the audience of Hong Kong as a whole.
“At present, it is the best timing for us to strengthen our OTT broadcast service,” said Cheong Shin Keong, Executive Director and General Manager of TVB. Cheong further responded that to ensure a provision of diverse, convenient and high quality personalised TV encounter, entertainment programmes worldwide will be incorporated into the OTT broadcast service platform.
Value-added services, such as personal profile with viewing history, Video-on-demand and Catch up services, will also be included, contributing to a TV encounter without any time constraints. In view of the cooperation with internet and telecommunications service providers, Cheong gladly announced TVB’s collaboration with HGC and 3 Hong Kong in the sales and distribution of its OTT service. He further expressed that TVB’s exploration of collaboration with other internet and telecommunications service providers is on track simultaneously.
As a continuation of achievement of the myTV platform, the OTT broadcast business will further enrich both the genre and quantity of the present programme pool in folds. Apart from the existing channels in broadcast (including Jade, Pearl, J2, hdJ and iNEWS), popular classic dramas and 13 TVB pay channels will also be included, namely, TVB Japanese Drama, TVB Korean Drama, TVB Chinese Drama, TVB Drama Select, TVB Classic, TVB Encore, TVB Window, TVB Food, TVB Classic Movies ( will be launched on 4 April ), TVB Entertainment News, TVB Sports, TVB News and TVB News 2. In this light, subscribers of the OTT broadcast service can enjoy more than 25,500 hours’ programmes, comprising 17,700 hours of TVB programmes and 8,500 hours of acquired programmes. Among all, the drama channels will ensure a timely broadcast of more than 1,700 hours of newest drama of Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and the Mainland, which dubbing in Cantonese will apply to Japanese and Korean dramas.
- Meet the K-drama stars of the new series ‘Kairos’ on #TwitterBlueroom Live before its premiere 136 views | posted on October 23, 2020
- Asian storytelling, reimagined: New genres, fresh opportunities for Asian creators at the Singapore Media Festival 2020 47 views | posted on October 21, 2020
- Hotstar launches in Singapore with exclusive streaming of the Dream11 IPL 2020 Playoffs and Final 43 views | posted on October 20, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights appoints distribution sales expert Hana Palmer as Head of Sales 37 views | posted on October 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020