Tencent Holdings Limited and HBO have announced a strategic partnership at the Tencent Video V Conference in Beijing for Tencent Video to be the exclusive online partner for HBO in China. Tencent Video will be the sole official provider online to offer award-winning HBO drama series including Band of Brothers, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Rome, The Newsroom, True Detective and a number of other leading TV and movie titles from HBO and HBO Asia.
Charles Schreger, President of Programming Sales, HBO said, “The HBO brand is synonymous with ground-breaking original programming. The storytelling as well as the scale and scope of production on our series, such as Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire, is simply unmatched in the entertainment industry. This partnership with Tencent Video ensures that Chinese fans will now be able to enjoy our dramas at the high level of quality they were meant to be experienced. This is a great partnership for both companies and for the Chinese consumer as well.”
Martin Lau, President of Tencent Holdings, commented, “We are delighted to become HBO’s exclusive online partner in China, and to provide its content to millions of consumers at any time, on any device. This partnership enables us to distribute some of the most ground-breaking programming in the world through our robust technology platform, to the benefit of Chinese Internet users.”
SY Lau, President of Tencent’s Online Media Group, added, “HBO’s award-winning drama series and movies have built up fantastic viewer enthusiasm in China. Bringing this content to a wide audience in an attractive on-demand format will further differentiate our market-leading online video service.”
HBO is one of the world’s premium television providers and is known for its high-quality productions. One of the drama series to be introduced to China is The Newsroom which chronicles behind-the-scenes events at the fictional Atlantis Cable News (ACN) channel with an ensemble cast featuring the leading actor Jeff Daniels as news anchor Will McAvoy.
- True crime documentary series ‘The Night Caller’ pre-sales from Abacus Media Rights 42 views | posted on September 25, 2020
- Ekaterina Yakushenko joins newly revamped THEMA RUS 42 views | posted on September 25, 2020
- Reed Exhibitions announces leadership change at Reed MIDEM 34 views | posted on September 29, 2020
- GoQuest Media signs international distribution rights for ‘Rats’ 31 views | posted on September 25, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020