Washington, DC – National Geographic Channels International (NGCI) announced on June 5 the commission of the one-hour special Hasselhoff vs. the Berlin Wall from Darlow Smithson Productions. The special, which commemorates the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, will premiere in the U.S. and internationally on National Geographic Channel later this year in 171 countries and 45 languages.
David Hasselhoff has a unique link to the Berlin Wall – a massive pop star across Germany, he was invited to perform in Berlin to a million-strong crowd from a newly united east and west Germany, singing on the broken barrier on New Year’s Eve 1989. More than any other event, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the subsequent collapse of Communist rule across Eastern Europe set the scene for the 1990s – and David was there to witness history in the making. With the 25th anniversary approaching, Hasselhoff vs. the Berlin Wall takes viewers on an incredible, personal journey back to Berlin, retracing the Wall’s history, meeting the people who lived in its long shadow – the unbelievable escapes and divided lives – and examining the fate of the Wall’s final remnants. It also chronicles Hasselhoff’s emotional connection to Germany and the Wall as a prominent pop cultural figure whose hit single “Looking for Freedom” served as the unofficial protest anthem uniting east and west.
“Looking for freedom behind the Berlin Wall, I discovered so much more”, said Hasselhoff. “I witnessed firsthand the horror and the pain the East Germans experienced throughout their unwavering fight for freedom. They are an inspiration to us all, and I am proud beyond words to present their saga to the world in partnership with National Geographic Channel”.
- ZEASN and New ID to incorporate popular K-content in WhaleLive 83 views | posted on April 8, 2021
- Zee and Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. announce new co-production partnership 65 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- Anime titles from Medialink Group’s Ani-One library to start streaming on Mediacorp’s meWATCH platform 58 views | posted on April 12, 2021
- SynProNize and ATV take Turkish drama series ‘Hercai’ to Pakistan 42 views | posted on April 12, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020