Beijing and Hong Kong – BBC Worldwide announced two deals in Greater China at MIPTV on April 7. The deals were signed with TVB, the primary free-to-air TV broadcaster in Hong Kong, and Tencent, a provider of comprehensive Internet services in China.
The deal with TVB sees BBC Worldwide providing a wealth of new titles, predominantly natural history and factual, to the biggest terrestrial broadcaster in Hong Kong. Starting in the second quarter of this year, viewers in Hong Kong will be privy to highly commended series such as How to Build a Planet, a series where Richard Hammond explores how to build a planet that is just right for life; Supergiant Animals, a series tracking the adventures of Steve Backshall as he searches for the biggest creatures on the planet; and Deadly Pole To Pole, where Steve Backshall continues on his search for deadliest animals from the Arctic to the Antarctic. Other programmes in the deal include entertainment, lifestyle and preschool titles such as Sherlock (series three), Michela’s Classic Italian and Show Me Show Me (series four).
The deal marks the first time Tencent has acquired factual programmes from BBC Worldwide. Over 60 natural history and factual titles will be available on Tencent’s VOD service. Titles in the deal include Frozen Planet, a seven-part series that focuses on life and the environment in both the Arctic and Antarctic; and Penguins – Spy in the Huddle, a series that uses the latest spy cameras to give viewers a new perspective on their behaviour and extreme survival tactics. The programmes will be available this April.
- Toonz Media Group joins forces with Ferly for ‘Kingdom of None’ 74 views | posted on June 8, 2021
- Viu offers a special treat to frontline food delivery heroes of Singapore 56 views | posted on June 9, 2021
- KC Global Media expands distribution in Cambodia, Malaysia, and the Philippines 55 views | posted on June 10, 2021
- Red Fiber offers special deals and sets expansion goals for seamless customer experience in the Philippines 40 views | posted on June 10, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020