Beijing and Hong Kong – BBC Worldwide announced two deals in Greater China at MIPTV on April 7. The deals were signed with TVB, the primary free-to-air TV broadcaster in Hong Kong, and Tencent, a provider of comprehensive Internet services in China.
The deal with TVB sees BBC Worldwide providing a wealth of new titles, predominantly natural history and factual, to the biggest terrestrial broadcaster in Hong Kong. Starting in the second quarter of this year, viewers in Hong Kong will be privy to highly commended series such as How to Build a Planet, a series where Richard Hammond explores how to build a planet that is just right for life; Supergiant Animals, a series tracking the adventures of Steve Backshall as he searches for the biggest creatures on the planet; and Deadly Pole To Pole, where Steve Backshall continues on his search for deadliest animals from the Arctic to the Antarctic. Other programmes in the deal include entertainment, lifestyle and preschool titles such as Sherlock (series three), Michela’s Classic Italian and Show Me Show Me (series four).
The deal marks the first time Tencent has acquired factual programmes from BBC Worldwide. Over 60 natural history and factual titles will be available on Tencent’s VOD service. Titles in the deal include Frozen Planet, a seven-part series that focuses on life and the environment in both the Arctic and Antarctic; and Penguins – Spy in the Huddle, a series that uses the latest spy cameras to give viewers a new perspective on their behaviour and extreme survival tactics. The programmes will be available this April.
- CJ ENM Hong Kong partners with iQIYI International to bring tvN movies SVOD service regionally 101 views | posted on August 7, 2020
- MediaHub Australia celebrates 10th year anniversary with more success and services 79 views | posted on August 7, 2020
- Multiple-award winning Thai film ‘Bad Genius’ has been turned into a 12-part series on Dimsum Entertainment’s platform 63 views | posted on August 6, 2020
- David Elder appointed GM at Silver Trak Digital New Zealand 50 views | posted on August 7, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020