Singapore/London – The Philippines is in the spotlight this May as BBC World News broadcasts a special series of documentaries and news programmes that go behind the headlines to report on life in the Southeast Asian nation half a year after Typhoon Haiyan swept through parts of the country.
From May 19-30, BBC World News will explore how the Philippines is recovering from one of the strongest recorded storms – socially, economically and culturally. From the overall state of the Philippine economy to the day-to-day lives of people throughout the country, the first ever Philippines Direct season will explore the challenges and opportunities the country faces today.
Mary Wilkinson, Commissioning Editor, Editorial, BBC World News, said: “The upcoming Philippines Direct takes the opportunity six months on from when Typhoon Haiyan devastated the central Philippines to find out how its citizens are recovering. The country has made great strides in picking itself up after one of the strongest recorded storms ever to make landfall, and BBC World News will explore what makes the country tick.”
The Direct Seasons on BBC World News go behind the headlines to explore everyday life in one country. The season explores a range of issues and topics, from the economy and the challenges facing the local workforce, to standards of living for people at every level of society, and the local culture. Previous Direct seasons have focused on India, Indonesia, Japan, Canada, France, Poland and Ukraine. Philippines Direct broadcasts globally on the BBC’s 24 hours news channel BBC World News.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 70 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 42 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- ZEASN announces brand-new Smart TV App Store V3.0 41 views | posted on September 18, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 41 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020