Joby Ogwyn to leap off Mount Everest live on Discovery Channel
The world is about to witness one of the greatest human feats ever captured on television – when California resident Joby Ogwyn attempts the first wing suit flight off the summit of Mount Everest. The epic event titled Everest Jump Live will broadcast live on the Discovery Channel and in 224 countries and territories in May 2014.
“This is history in the making,” said Eileen O’Neill, Group President Discovery and TLC Networks. “Discovery Channel continues to bring livebroadcast events unlike anything you’ll see on television – from Felix Baumgartner’s world record for the highest space jump to Nik Wallenda’s incredible tightrope walk across the Grand Canyon.”
Joby Ogwyn jumps over the peaks of the Matterhorn in Switzerland (2009). Photos courtesy of Discovery.
Discovery will take viewers along the journey with two one-hour pre-shows revealing Joby’s intense training and preparations for Everest. The special will then culminate with a live two-hour broadcast – showing Joby as he battles the grueling conditions on the way to Everest’s summit and ultimately takes the final plunge from the top. Joby’s custom-made wingsuit will be equipped with cameras bringing a bird’s eye view as he descends more than 10,000 vertical feet at speeds of over 150 mph.
Joby is no stranger to Everest. He first summited the world’s highest peak at just 24-years-old, becoming the youngest American to make it to the top. In 2008, Joby set the world record for the fastest ascent of Mt. Everest, climbing from the base of the south side route to thesummit in just nine and a half hours (it typically takes 3-4 days). Ever since then, he’s searched for the ultimate way to explore the mountain – and now he’s found it.
- ZEASN announces brand-new Smart TV App Store V3.0 40 views | posted on September 18, 2020
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 40 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 39 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 39 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020