UPDATE: Eyeworks wins legal battle over celebrity diving format
On November 13, 2013, the Dutch court ruled in favor of Eyeworks by rejecting Banijay’s claims in relation to potential infringement of their sports event programme TV Total Turmspringen (Stars in Danger) by Eyeworks’ entertainment format Celebrity Splash. The ruling dictates that Celebrity Splash does not infringe upon Banijay’s rights.
The court confirmed that while both programmes are based on one theme – celebrities diving – the ”elaboration and design” of this idea are ”very different” in both programmes. Based on current EU legislation, the judgment applies to the Netherlands, where the case was presented, and extends across the European Union.
The court also confirmed that Banijay’s new show, Stars in Danger: High Diving, is a different format from TV Total Turmspringen.
Jeff Goldman, MD Eyeworks Distribution: ”From our perspective, it was always clear that not only was Celebrity Splash an original, unique entertainment format but that in turn Banijay simply capitalised on our success by copying the overall look & feel, as well as several key elements, of our format. Up until Celebrity Splash’s instantaneous success, Banijay had failed to license their diving sports event programme TV Total Turmspringen anywhere for eight years. As a result of our success, Banijay modified their event sports diving element into a “new show” – known as Stars in Danger: High Diving with striking similarities to Eyeworks’ original format. Banijay created confusion in the market place as well as sold this “new show” into several territories resulting in their profiting on Eyeworks’ success while at the same time undermining Eyeworks’ ability to fully exploit Celebrity Splash in those same territories.”
Eyeworks will now consider pursuing further legal action against Banijay for damages associated with their actions.
- Nippon TV’s award-winning drama series ‘Mother’ Thai version wins Best Script Writing at the 25th Asian Television Awards 129 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Period drama ‘Last Madame’ named Best Digital Fiction Series at the 25th Asian Television Awards 114 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Anchor-turned-actor Ivan Tai cast in RTM miniseries ‘A.I in Love’ with Janna Nick and Dini Shcatzmann 101 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- ‘The Witch of Kings Cross’ to be released worldwide on Amazon, iTunes, Vimeo, and GooglePlay on 9 February 77 views | posted on January 18, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020