Amidst the air-kissing affectation of events along Cannes’ La Croisette, a couple of things stand out in my MIPCOM memories for 2009. Attending AETN International’s party to celebrate its distribution, as well as international format and short form rights, of the film ‘The People Speak’, were co-directors Chris Moore and Dr Anthony Arnove. Dr Howard Zinn’s ‘A People’s History of the United States’ was the original inspiration for ‘The People Speak’ which comprises dramatic performances chronicling the history of the US from celebrities including Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, Marisa Tomei and Don Cheadle – woven together with archival footage and interviews. It was inspiring to meet Arnove, who, with Zinn, co-wrote ‘Voices of a People’s History of the United States’, and to hear how the people without a voice had finally been given a voice. And the format, to be developed for the UK by actor Colin Firth, made a refreshing change from half-naked wannabes eating insects, or ever more ingenious ways to propel contestants into murky water. Also inspirational, albeit in a different way, were Matt Groening and Al Jean, in Cannes to promote ‘The Simpsons’ twentieth year. I asked about their boundaries on the show, particularly with references to Fox, parent company News Corp and its proprietor Rupert Murdoch. Al Jean replied that the network, and Mr Murdoch, seemed to enjoy being mentioned in the show. “They do tend to object to anything that might upset the advertisers though,” added Groening.
- Global Agency announces new sales for rom-com series ‘Daydreamer’ 10.4k views | posted on October 27, 2020
- BBC Studios announces deal with Discovery Inc. for ‘Top Gear’ catalogue in Japan 70 views | posted on October 26, 2020
- CNN International Commercial appoints Rob Bradley and Cathy Ibal to lead ‘Audience First’ strategy 57 views | posted on October 29, 2020
- ITV Studios presents its exciting content slate at its inaugural Fall Festival 44 views | posted on October 26, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020