Simply put, what is Babelgum, and how was it born? The Babelgum network features content spanning film, news, sports, documentaries, music videos and concerts, lifestyle and trends, animation and scripted programs. Babelgum is the brainchild of Silvio Scaglia, founder and former CEO of Italian telecommunications company Fastweb, the first company to commercially implement IPTV on a ‘closed network’ in Europe. Silvio saw the potential to extend the flexibility, capacity and interactivity of IPTV to the open Internet and formed Babelgum in 2005 to realize that dream. Are the comparisons with Joost justified – how are the two similar – and how do they differ? Both Babelgum and Joost use the same basic peer to peer (P2P) streaming technology to deliver TV quality video and audio over the Internet and both require users to download a small ‘client’ application to view the available library of content. To that extent they are similar.
Ad – Before Content
- Asian Television Awards Alumni Spotlight: Formosa Television
- Fox Entertainment launches international unscripted format fund
- CJ ENM HK and Hong Kong Tourism Board hype up tourism interests with K-pop culture
- Fremantle raises the stakes with an influx of new factual programming
- Amazon launches Prime Video Channels in India
- The Story Lab and Fuji Television Network unveil their new entertainment format ‘The Spin’